More than 1,200 children from around the world wish to visit Hawaii each year. These wishes range from meeting a real-life mermaid to surfing with Bethany Hamilton. Our Wish Assist department works with each child’s local chapter to bring his or her one true wish to life. The Wish Assist intern will work with the team to plan and coordinate these wishes to visit Hawaii. Daily coordination duties include:
Ideal for applicants pursuing a degree in Travel Industry/Hospitality, Social Work, Psychology, Child Life or related fields. All majors are welcome. Applicants that are bilingual in Spanish are encouraged to apply.
COMMUNICATIONS ART INTERNSHIP
This individual will work under the supervision of the Communications Department and the Multimedia Specialist to assist in visual storytelling and communicating the Make-A-Wish Hawaii brand. Projects and experiences will align with our current needs, which fluctuate seasonally, as well as with the intern’s area of interest and specialty. Tasks may include:
- Designing general and event-specific marketing collateral, including social media graphics, signage, posters, fliers, info sheets, and web graphics (utilizing Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator)
- Learning and implementing national Make-A-Wish brand standards and localizing as needed
- Creating promotional and wish-related videos, including capturing and/or editing footage
- Printing and cutting jobs in-house, as well as facilitating external print jobs
- Providing photography and videography support as needed
- Supporting design projects for other departments as needed
Candidates looking to apply must be pursuing degrees related to this field. Preference will be given to candidates with experience in graphic design, web design, photography, videography, and HTML.
This position entails working with the Communications Department to convey the Make-A-Wish Hawaii mission and brand to various publics, including current and prospective donors, wish families, volunteers, medical professionals, and more. Tasks may include:
- Interviewing wish families, volunteers, medical professionals, and other constituents
- Crafting creative wish stories and blogs
- Writing compelling, concise social media posts
- Drafting media advisories, pitches, and press releases
- Composing donor stewardship pieces
- Copywriting for advertisements, marketing emails, and other collateral
Candidates interested in applying for this position should have a passion for interviewing, storytelling, and information gathering. Preference will be given to candidates pursuing a degree in Communications, English, or Creative Writing. Individuals most successful in this internship thrive in a collaborative, deadline-driven environment.
DEVELOPMENT AND CORPORATE RELATIONS INTERNSHIPS
This individual will work with the Development team to gain first-hand exposure to the development process in a local non-profit organization. Interns will acquire a wide range of critical and transferrable skills, including fundraising, donor relations, events and communications, research and data/analysis/entry and copywriting, along with administrative skills. Tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Support team in planning and executing fundraising initiatives, including internal and external events, campaigns, and more
- Build and strengthen donor and corporate relations through stewardship efforts
- Attend meetings alongside the Development team, as they present partnership opportunities to various community partners
- Identify opportunities for local partnerships and manage research results, including logging findings and relationships in Raiser’s Edge database
- Work with Communications department to ensure local campaigns and initiatives are promoted through social media, email, and other media
Candidates looking to apply must be extremely detail oriented. All majors are welcome, but this position is ideal for applicants pursuing a degree in Public Administration or the non-profit sector, Business, or Communications/Marketing/ Public Relations.
VOLUNTEER & OUTREACH INTERNSHIPS
From meeting with wish families and planning wish reveals to volunteering at local events, more than 700 volunteers across our islands make our mission possible. This individual will assist the Volunteer & Outreach Coordinator in all aspects of the Volunteer Program, including but not limited to:
- Recruiting and training volunteers
- Managing volunteer files
- Processing applications
- Communicating with volunteers
- Assisting with job and internship fairs at local universities
Candidates looking to apply for this position must be comfortable and confident communicating over the phone and in public. Ideal for applicants pursuing a degree in Human Resources, Public Administration, or other related fields. All majors are welcome.
This individual will work with the Events and Development team to help plan and produce all of Make-A-Wish Hawaii’s events. Interns will gain valuable knowledge about the development process in a local non-profit as well as strengthen affinity to the Make-A-Wish Hawaii mission. Intern responsibilities include:
- Assisting in event and project management
- Learning the development and fundraising aspects that set non-profit events apart
- Designing creative touches to enhance guest experience
- Conducting research and donor data analysis/entry
- Supporting communications and marketing related to events
Individuals most successful in this internship thrive in a collaborative, detail-oriented, fast paced, and creative environment. Ideal for applicants pursuing a degree in Business, Communications or Marketing. All majors are welcome.
DATABASE MANAGEMENT INTERNSHIPS
This individual will work with the Donor Care Manager and Coordinator in all aspects of Raiser’s Edge database management in order to facilitate proper donor relationships and stewardship. Tasks will include:
- Assisting with donor database maintenance. This includes merging constituent duplicate records, updating constituent records, linking records, soft crediting participants, and entering donor gifts
- Entering constituent data for all individuals and organizations, including address updates, constituent demographics, and relationship links
- Working with the Development staff to enter notes and actions and set email reminders for donor follow-up and stewardship initiatives
- Donor acknowledgement – assists with thank you letter compilation. This includes mail merge through Raiser’s Edge, collating envelopes, sealing and stamping letters to be delivered
Candidates interested in applying for this position must be detailed oriented, able to work independently and be familiar with Excel. Ideal for applicants pursuing a degree in Business Administration, Entrepreneurial Studies, Human Resources, Public Administration, or other related fields. All majors are welcome.
FINANCE DEPARTMENT INTERNSHIPS
This intern will work with the Finance Dept.: Accounts Receivable duo, in addition to assisting the Director of Finance with annual financial year-end closing and audit. Responsibilities include:
- Creating invoices
- Assisting with accounts receivable
- In-kind recognition
- Data entry into Raiser’s Edge and Financial Edge
- Collaborating within department and ensuring the privacy and protection of confidential information
This individual will also be required to support our special events. Applicants should be Business, Finance, or Accounting majors with proficiency in Microsoft Office applications. Attention to detail, the ability to multi-task, and excellent communication skills are essential for this position. Preferred six months to one year of office experience.
MEDICAL OUTREACH INTERNSHIPS
This individual will support the Medical Outreach Department in its initiatives to reach more eligible children in the state of Hawaii. General duties include:
Candidates must be organized and detailed-oriented, have strong written and oral communication skills, basic medical terminology and experience in Microsoft Office Suite, valid driver’s license and consistent access to an automobile. Be professional, outgoing, and have a respectful demeanor. Ideal for applicants attending college or university pursuing a degree in a medicine or a related field with previous medical experience preferred.